Saturday, May 21, 2011

Save our Earth!


I know it's past Earth Day (though isn't EVERY DAY Earth Day?!?), but I thought I would pass on a few tips to help reduce the damage we do to our Earth. :D

Studies have shown that 60-75% of our landfills contain items that can be recycled. My husband and I have been recycling for about 3 years now. Here are our bins:

These are in our pantry. As you can see, we have a bin for paper, a bin for plastic, and a bin for cardboard. These bins empty into three different garbage barrels stored in our garage. My husband hauls the barrels to the neighborhood recycling center about once every month. We recycle whatever we can, including junk mail, food containers, and take-out containers--basically lots and lots of packaging. Packaging takes up about one-third of trash thrown away--WOW! (In fact, since we started recycling our trash only has to be taken out ONCE a week, versus 2-3 times per week. Recycling = less trash. Less trash = less waste.)  

FUN FACT: You may not have noticed this but every plastic container has a recycle symbol on the bottom with a number in the middle of it. It's not just there to remind you to recycle, but to show you how easy the container is to recycle. The lower the number, the easier it is to recycle; the higher, the more difficult.

I try not to use things that have a high number, but sometimes it's unavoidable (like laundry detergent). The plastic cups (usually red) used at parties and events (especially on TV!) have a HIGH number and shouldn't be used if you can help it. There are plenty of other cups that are just as fun and have a 1 or 2 on the bottom.

I also keep this little green folder in my school tote bag to use to bring home papers from school that can be recycled. (You all know how much paper is used at school, so it's usually quite a bit that I put in my folder!). 

I hope this post inspires you to make a few small changes in your life to help preserve our Earth! As far as we know, we only get one! :D

Do any of you recycle? What other green things do you do?

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy to see how much you recycle. I am a recycling fiend. I am lucky that my school recycles too or I would bring home tons of recyclables. I actually use a ton of old containers in my classroom. It sets a great example for my students. They love to guess what used to be in them.

    At home I am pretty much set up like you are. I also compost out organics so I would also agree that there is not much trash to take out. Once a week is about right.

    Thanks for writing about this.

    Ms. M
    Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your tips! It is so important to recycle. We recycle at home. I've been trying to get my school to recycle for years.
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to carry my recycling unit a bit farther by showing the kids what can be made from recycled materials, but I counldn't find many- any thoughts?


    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete