Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Transformations, Congruence, and Symmetry Evaluation Books

Instead of giving a traditional test for the end of our Transformations, Congruence, and Symmetry unit, I had my students create a book that demonstrated what they learned. The book had six pages and they were required to include: translation, rotation, reflection, congruent/not congruent, line of symmetry and no line of symmetry. They were also required to explain what each one was in as many words as they wanted (I say that because some students can get the point across in 2 words, while others needed about 12 words). This activity helped reinforce the vocabulary they learned and allowed them to be a little creative. I was very pleased with the outcome! While some students did just enough to meet the requirements, others took it and ran with it! I picked out some of the best ones to show you (in no particular order):


Here are the cute little books!


Don't let this fool you--not all 4th graders write this neat!!


This book was my favorite. She really went all out with her examples!




 Making cross-curricular connections!


4 comments:

  1. Those are fun! Have you check out Dinah Zike's website? She has lots of foldable ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! I l-o-v-e her stuff! I have used a few of her math foldables and several for science (last year when I also taught science). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is perfect for our math journals! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete